Special message: Due to the recent spike in COVID-19 cases, the County Clerk’s Vital Records Office and Circuit Court Records Office are closed to in-person transactions through APRIL 26TH. If you have an emergency, please call our Vital Records Office at (989)790-5251. We strongly encourage you to utilize our services available online or by mail if possible. Please view the list of services available online or by mail.
To search for a notary public record that occurred from 1995 to present, visit our Notary Public Search.
The Saginaw County Clerk’s Office has notary public services, meaning we certify that the person(s) signing a document in front of one of us has produced the appropriate legal identification proving that they are said person. A Notary Public is certified by the State of Michigan to administer oaths and provide certification signatures affixed to important legal documents and sworn statements.
Must produce one of the following:
- Valid, government-issued photo identification (Driver’s License or State I.D.)
- Unexpired U.S. or foreign passport
- U.S. military I.D.
- $5 if document has signature lines in place
- $8 if document does not have signature lines in place
In certain circumstances, there may be a need for an authentication of a document such as an Apostille or Certificate of Authority. These are available only at certain locations, the closest to Saginaw being the Flint Area Super Center, 5512 Fenton Rd. For further information, you may visit the Secretary of State website.
Becoming a Notary Public
- Obtain a $10,000 surety bond (available through insurance agencies or bonding companies) in which you reside. This bond must be filed with the Clerk’s Office within 90 days of issuance. Attorneys licensed in Michigan who are in good standing do not require a bond.
- Complete the Application for Notary Public. Your current address must match on both the application and your identification.
- Bring the following to the Saginaw County Clerk’s Office:
- Valid, government-issued photo identification (must be a Saginaw County address)
- Completed application (must be typed or completed online per state requirements)
- Surety Bond
- $10 payment (cash, checks, and debit/credit cards accepted; there is an additional $2.50 fee for debit/credit card processing)
- The County Clerk’s Office will administer an oath of office and a declaration for applicant signature to verify that you have complied with all requirements and that you will perform all notarial acts faithfully.
- Mail completed application and a $10 check or money order payable to State of Michigan to: Michigan Department of State, Office of the Great Seal, 7064 Crowner Drive, Lansing, MI 48918
- You will receive your commissioned card and certificate via email. Please note the notary commission is not valid until you receive your Certificate of Commission.
- For further information, you may call the Office of the Great Seal at (888) 767-6424 or visit the Secretary of State website.