Special message: Due to the recent spike in COVID-19 cases, the County Clerk’s Vital Records Office and Circuit Court Records Office are closed to in-person transactions. If you have an emergency, please call our Vital Records Office at (989)790-5251. We strongly encourage you to utilize our services available online or by mail if possible. Please view the list of services available online or by mail.
The Saginaw County Clerk’s Office maintains death certificates for individuals whose death occurred in Saginaw County. To conduct a search for a Saginaw County death record that occurred between 1995 to present, use our Online Death Certificate Search
Death Certificate – Certified Copy Fees
- In-Person: $15 for the first copy and $7 for each additional copy of the same record in the same visit. Acceptable forms of payment include cash, checks, and debit/credit cards; please note there is a fee for debit/credit card processing ($2.50 under $49.99).
- By Mail or Drop Box available at the Courthouse entrance: $16 for the first copy and $7 for each additional copy of the same record in the same request. Acceptable forms of payment include checks and money orders.
- Online: Starts at $26 (1 certified copy) and will increase depending on how many copies you request and the mailing option you choose. Acceptable forms of payment include debit/credit cards.
Who Can Obtain a Certified Copy of a Death Certificate?
Death certificates are public records available for anyone to request a certified copy.
How to Order Certified Copies of a Death Certificate
- In-Person: Application can be filled out in the Saginaw County Clerk’s Office. In most cases, a death certificate certified copy is prepared while you wait.
- By Mail or Drop Box available at the Courthouse entrance: Complete the Death Record application. Prepare a check or money order in the appropriate amount (see Death Certificate – Certified Copy Fees above), payable to Saginaw County Clerk. Mail everything to: Saginaw County Clerk, 111 S. Michigan Ave., Saginaw, MI 48602.
- Online: Using the VitalChek website; follow their instructions; when you see the statement “Choose one of these government agencies to see the certificates they offer,” make sure you use the drop-down feature to select Saginaw County; this is very important to ensure we receive your order.