With the exception of the 1st Floor Clerk's Office, the Saginaw County Courthouse will be closed from 11:00 AM until 2:00 PM on November 2, 2021 for employee training.  Only those conducting business with the Clerk's Office will be allowed entry into the building during these times.

Skip Navigation

Military Discharge (DD-214)

Special message:  Please note, due to technological issues, the Vital Records Office can only accept cash or check at this time.


After discharge from the military, veterans may file their military discharge papers (DD-214) with the County Clerk’s office in which they reside.  A valid, government-issued identification is required for filing.  We can only file the original document (which will be immediately returned to you).  We will file it while you wait, and you will leave with certified copies.


There is no fee to file a military discharge or to obtain certified copies.

Who May Request Certified Copies?

The record is private, just like a birth certificate, and cannot be viewed by the public.  The veteran may come in and show their valid, government-issued identification to receive certified copies.  In the event the veteran is deceased, an heir may request the record by showing a certified copy of the veteran’s death certificate along with additional documentation which proves their relationship (i.e. marriage license, birth certificate).

The record may also be requested by mail or placed in the drop box available at the Courthouse entrance.  We must have appropriate identification along with a self-addressed envelope.  Your request can be mailed to:  Saginaw County Clerk, 111 S. Michigan Ave., Saginaw, MI  48602.