What Should I Expect When I Have Children and Dogs?
Children lack knowledge and expertise to interact safely with dogs, adults must ensure children and dogs interact well with each other. This is a two-step process:
- Teaching your child
- Training the dog
- Never leave young children with any dog unattended
- Warn children about approaching unknown dogs
- Teach children to approach dogs slowly
- Teach children not to disturb dogs that are sleeping, eating, or playing with toys.
- Caution children from tormenting or teasing dogs.
- Don't force children to make friends with any dog they are afraid of.
- Ensure basic obedience
- Ensure the dog is well socialized
- Always use a leash
- If the dog is not well trained or socialized, keep him confined when new visitors are at your home.
- Vaccinate, spay/neuter- keeping your dog healthy can keep your dog happier.