Skip Navigation

Summary Proceedings

Landlord - Tenant cases

Notice: Update for Landlord/tenant cases, Rent Assistance and Covid-19 Impact

A landlord may file a summary proceeding (landlord-tenant case) to recover possession of premises and/or to obtain a money judgment. A person who is renting a home, apartment, mobile home, or some other building from someone, is a tenant. A landlord is the person who is renting the home, apartment, mobile home, or some building. Both the tenant and the landlord have legal rights.

The 70th District Court handles a variety of cases involving problems between landlords and tenants. A tenant can be evicted from the property for failure to pay rent, termination of tenancy, health hazard termination, destruction of property and refusal to follow rules and regulations. For a further discussion please visit the State Court Administrators web site

Land Contract Forfeiture cases

An owner of property who is selling that property to another on a land contract may file a summary proceeding to forfeit the buyer's interest in the property and regain possession. The procedures for a land contract forfeiture are similar to landlord tenant cases. A buyer may be evicted from the premises after forfeiture of the property for violating terms of the contract such as non-payment of installment payments, or taxes, or failure to maintain insurance. For a further discussion of the procedures used, visit the State Court Administrators web site.


  Filing Fee Judicial Electronic Filing Fee Total
POSSESSION ONLY $ 45.00 $10.00 $ 55.00
Claims up to $600.00 $ 70.00 $20.00 $ 90.00
Claims $600.01 to $1,750.00 $ 90.00 $20.00 $110.00
Claims $1,750.01 to $10,000.00 $110.00 $20.00 $130.00
Claims $10,000.01 to $25,000.00 $195.00 $20.00 $215.00
Motion Fee $ 20.00    

Landlord - Tenant Forms

Forms for landlord tenant cases are available on the Forms page of this web site.

Notice: A corporation must be represented by an attorney. If the property is owned by a corporation, the owner may not appear in Court to present the case. Michigan law specifically prohibits a non-lawyer from representing the corporation in Court.